Helping businesses, government officials, organizations and individuals in Silicon Valley “put their best face forward” is the primary focus of the Silicon Valley Office of Protocol.
Established in 2014, the Silicon Valley Office of Protocol provides support to 54 cities and 5 counties in Silicon Valley, as well as local corporations and advocacy groups. Not all cities maintain their own offices of protocol, and most businesses and nonprofits do not need such services on a regular basis, so being able to call on one center for information has filled a growing need.
World leaders are increasingly being drawn to Silicon Valley as a hub of international business and innovation. At times, our local leaders are faced with questions on the finer points of protocol, since they are more regularly interacting with diplomats and business representatives from other countries. Proper application of time-honored standards of protocol can be vital to encouraging cooperative relationships, and nurturing cultural ties and positive communication.
The Silicon Valley Office of Protocol has helped forge productive contacts between government and business representatives from diverse cultures. Utilizing this office’s varied services can help assure successful interactions.
The Silicon Valley Office of Protocol:
- Assists with all diplomatic arrivals and departures, including red-carpet arrival ceremonies, at San Jose Mineta International Airport (SJC)
- Works with advance teams, Embassy staff, Consular officials and the U.S. Department of State to coordinate Head of State and Head of Government visits to Silicon Valley
- Coordinates meetings and ceremonies for visiting delegations
- Provides country-/culture-specific briefings to Silicon Valley elected officials traveling abroad, or greeting foreign delegations at home
- Arranges cultural sensitivity trainings for Silicon Valley leaders
- Provides guidance on flag etiquette, orders of precedence, seating, titles, introductions, and appropriate gift selections for government institutions and local businesses
- Arranges tours of local landmarks and institutions for international business leaders and high-level delegations
- Coordinates with local, state and Federal protocol offices, and local government affairs and policy visits teams
- Presents guest lectures at local universities concerning protocol and business etiquette
- Connects international start-ups with local resources
- Represents government officials at events when requested
Heads of state from Japan and Brazil visited earlier this year, following earlier trips by the leaders of Ireland, Israel, Russia and Malaysia. The region is so popular that last year the nonprofit Silicon Valley Office of Protocol opened its doors to help with the finer points of international diplomacy, including etiquette and manners.
Silicon Valley has had such a flood of high-level visitors of late that, last year, it opened the non-profit Silicon Valley Office of Protocol to advise tech leaders on how to deal with their important visitors.
Santa Clara County
Los Altos Hills
Santa Cruz County
San Mateo County
East Palo Alto
Half Moon Bay
South San Francisco
Contra Costa County